Friday, November 03, 2006

Three things I appreciate about Jack

1. He takes pretty pictures. And he's diligent about taking that little camera around. I'm awful in this area, and when I look back on the five years I spent without Jack...well there's not much to look back on. A huge gap in the photodocumentation of my life.
I'm trying to be better about uploading his photos to flickr. Here's the website where I do that occasionally:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mamamiabrandy/

2. He has a quirky view on things like tooth fairies and tooth mice. Jack believes that our child should be able to have open communication with these magical creatures. And so...when Nora leaves notes for the tooth fairy (and now the tooth mouse), they write her back! I thought this was a little strange at first. I certainly never communicated with the tooth fairy when I was a child. And I think that I would have been a little creeped out to receive a note under my pillow from a fairy or mouse. It's one thing to imagine this ephemeral being exchanging money for my nasty tooth. It's another to picture this being standing in my room, holding a pencil.

Yesterday was the Day of the Dead. A day when one pays homage to his/her dearly departed relatives, and they in turn pay homage to children in the form of small presents at night. And Jack thought that our dead relatives should leave Nora a note as well!?! Yes, Jack a fantastic idea...for saving money, since then we could move into a one-bedroom apartment because there's no way a child would be able to sleep in her own room again after receiving a letter from a skeleton under her pillow.

3. He often moonwalks for us even though sometimes he hurts himself doing it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm, exactly how do you hurt yourself moonwalking? You know it breaks your sister's heart to hear such a thing. Did you not learn from the master? Well, that's what you get for burning my Michael Jackson posters and for spray painting my Michael Jackson doll green. (circa 1984) Payback's a bitch.

Now, I've certainly done some damage while doing The Worm after back surgery, but THE MOONWALK??? C'mon.

I'm also curious to find out what Grandpa Broker and Grandpa/Grandma Waite had to say to Nora...

Tracie P. said...

hi brandy! i got your comment on my site a few days ago. my mom called me and said, "tra, there's a comment on your blog from someone who's parents live in orange!"

it looks like you are also an ex-austinite :) i miss it too...viva la cucina messicana!

Anonymous said...

I love reading about the different traditions over there. I can't wait to see what the difference in Christmas traditions will be. (I'm not seeing Thanksgiving being a big day for you guys over there:-( :-( That will make me very sad:-( Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

We need another story to read! Sure would like to hear another one by Nora, too!! Hers are great!! Mimi