Thursday, July 19, 2007

What in/around my desk is 4 cm long?

The metal end to a key--before you get to the rounded bit at the top.
A small paper clip--not a big one.
The plastic lid to a flash drive.

And...that's about it. I thought I'd be able to find more, but everything else is bigger.
A bottle of white out is 7.5 cm.
The cap to a Sharpie is 5 cm long...so is the big paper clip.

Four centimeters is TINY.
So please excuse the quality of this photo. I've blown it up so that you can MAYBE make out that there is a 4cm-long baby growing in my belly. Hanging out on a hammock--is how Jack describes this fetal pose.



Do you see it above the white "hammock"? It looks like it has a speech bubble coming out of its mouth. I think that's it. It seemed so much clearer when it was on the tv.

Even though I'm only two months along, the doctors thought it was a good idea to get a sonogram (ecografia) before we left for the states. Since it's so tiny, it is not possible to know if it's a boy or a girl. But Jack likes to be surprised anyway...so nobody will know until approximately February 9. The doctor counted limbs, length, heartbeat, and other things I couldn't translate. There were no problems, and the baby seems healthy.

The only bad side so far to being pregnant is that I've developed a horrible aversion to Italian food. ALL Italian food. I can't stand to see it, smell it, think about it. I know technically there's no such thing as "Italian food." There are so many regional differences that you call it Tuscan food or Roman food, etc. My problem, however, seems to be that I can't stand cooked tomatoes, sliced meats, sausage, most cheeses, and oil. If you have any suggestions for what a girl in Rome can eat without those ingredients, I'd love to hear them. Until I go home I'll continue with my rotation of burger, chicken, veal. All with mashed potatoes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I just read the posts! Congrats! I am so excited for you guys (hence al the exclamation marks)!!
So are you going to have this one in the states since it was conceived in Italy? Seems this one is already rebeling on ya with the no Italian food. :)
Can I be a Tia again?
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

I feel like Rachel on the episode of Friends I JUST watched, when she found out she was pregnant and went with Ross to see the ultrasound...."I CAN'T SEE IT!!!" I'm going to keep trying, but I feel like a TERRIBLE Mimi!!!!!!!! :-( :-(

Anonymous said...

I think I can see him/her! That's so cool. See ya soon!

Anonymous said...

Hello Brandy! Congrats from Carlos and I!! I had a feeling that Jack would keep the gender a suprise, that secretive bastard! Food aversion to Italian sounds like cruel joke.

Here are some pictures from the 3d ultrasound we did, as well as other pics and blogs about the pregnancy. http://jwulbert.spaces.live.com/
I'm 29 weeks now - wholy shit how did that happen!! I'd love to hear about your trip to Austin and things in general - drop me an email some time (jwulbert@hotmail.com)

Unknown said...

Congratulations!
I am thrilled to hear of your pregnancy Brandy...and Jack & Nora. Wondered how the trip to Mexico, and Austin were and found out this great news instead.
What about going asian on that baby? Rice, fish, tofu, chicken, soybeans, mushrooms, seaweed, miso, and sauces galore that are pretty much opposite to 'italian' cuisine.
Happy tummy lovins to you!
*Nora