Thursday, September 14, 2006

Photo Post

It's been a really long time since we've posted anything, and the longer we wait to post something, the harder it gets--because there's more to say. So I think this post will be a photo essay...with very few words. I am compiling at the moment a three-columned list: things I've learned while living in Rome, things I'm learning, and things I haven't learned and may never understand. But for now, here are photos.



I'm pretty sure this is a Hobbit house, found outside a church near our home.















In Rome, there is a big festival at the end of August (or beginning of September, not sure if it celebrates the full moon or end of summer or what) called Notte Biancha. The entire town comes out and celebrates and every store/cafe/pub/bar/restaurant remains open all night. It's like the opposite of the month of August where every store/cafe/pub, etc. remains closed and the Romans are nowhere to be found. I think maybe this holiday began to celebrate the end of tourist season, but I could be wrong. Anyway...here Nora and I are looking out of the office windows, overlooking the Campo de' Fiori.










The whole town = a lot of people.
Photo taken at 3 A.M.













A gyspy and her baby.

















My gypsy baby.










Nora loves Nutella.





















Nora and Jack. My little gargoyle and pensive holy man.



I apologize that this picture is not rotated, but I really can't be bothered to go back and do it now. Jack, Nora, and I went to the nearby town of Frascati a few weekends ago. Frascati is known for its white wine, and here Nora can be seen pouring wine from the wall into a 1.5L water bottle. Total cost: 2 Euros. Not bad.





We are living in Trastevere--a "hip" neighborhood across the Tiber from the historic center of town. In fact, Trastevere means "across the Tiber." Lots of people congregate here in the evenings. This attracts buskers of varying degrees of talent. Most of them include some aspect of fire juggling in their routine. Two girls do an exercise routine, in what appears to be utter seriousness, to Cyndi Lauper. These guys may or may not have been performers in Cirque du Soleil. They were fantastic and performed to the music from Alegria.



From the top of St. Peter's basilica. (the one with the Pope)










This is Nora's first day of school. And this is one of her teachers, Serena. Her other teacher is Paola. They speak no English, and Nora speaks no Italian. I have more to say about this, but it will have to wait until the next post.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This school situation is the one I want to hear more about. Hurry, Hurry write more Texans in Italy!

Anonymous said...

ps. i'm anonymous...nellers:)

Anonymous said...

I want to hear more about Nora's school, too. And her non-English speaking teachers:-) Her anonymous Mimi!!:-)

Anonymous said...

Yay! more italian stuff! though... let me tell you what i did tonight: the restaurant that i've been going to since i moved into my apartment a year ago--i finally had a little talk with the owner, and we paint-penned (in black) my initials on the bottom of a shot glass from big bend texas. so i guess i'm famous. but what was that bar in austin where if you went long enough you got a mug? they had that game, "big buck hunter"...

Brandy said...

Kat--I think it was Texas Showdown? The one with Happy Minutes from like 4:45 to 5:00 and all beers were 1 dollar? or some good deal similar to that.

Perhaps you should see if they can put your initials on the bottom a wine glass. Or a water glass. It may not be as cool, but you'll remember the stories.