Tuesday, July 11, 2006

A little late for thinking this through

Jack left today. His flight was at 7 A.M. We woke at 7:30. Four hours later he was sitting on a different plane, willing it to fly faster. Instead the plane was delayed at take off and landing due to a faulty door (!). So rather than wasting away a six hour layover, Jack sprinted through JFK with 200 pounds of luggage--arriving at the gate 30 minutes after it closed. I'd like to personally thank the woman working the Aer Lingus counter today. Thank you for rearranging Jack's flight reservations to accomodate his 5 hour delay. Thank you for allowing his oversized luggage. And thank you for waiving the 500 dollars in bad-traveller-fees. Those 500 dollars represent a small percentage of one month's rent in Rome or a month's supply of gelato. Either way, it's better off in our hands.

This is the first day that I think I've seen the idea of moving as more than a vacation. More than a fun idea to romanticize over wine. Today when I got back from the airport, I looked at Austin in a new way. I kept thinking "Here I am at Jo's. I was here with Jack the other day. Jack won't see this place again for a while. Oh shit! I won't see this place for a while! I love this place! What the hell am I doing?!" This same thought process repeated while looking at landmarks, stores/restaurants, freakin' traffic on Mopac, and my couch. And there were tears. More tears today than I've felt in a while.

I love Austin. I love my friends. I love my life here. I am not dissatisfied. Am I ready to make such a revolution when things are running smoothly? A moot question I guess since I've got two very expensive tickets for 8/8. Thank god the plane leaves in the afternoon.

2 comments:

Jack said...

you're going to miss the freaking traffic on mo-pac!! are you high?

enjoy jo's for me. i'm not insulting italian coffee, since it is the kind of coffee evey coffee shop aspires to make. but it's very hard to find frito pies and iced turbos in rome. and they call this place civilized...

Anonymous said...

You all are going to be great in Rome, and then you will love Austin even more when you return. You have made me smile and get teary eyed at the same time, all at my boring desk in Palo Alto, just thinking about the adventure ahead for you three. I cannot wait to visit!