Thursday, July 27, 2006

wine-soaked recollections, 2 weeks in.

it's weird, on the flight from Austin to New York, when I was getting very sad, nostalgic, and questioning the whole move, I looked at the TV the guy had on seated next to me. And there was my coworker Dar on the TV. Wha? He and another coworker, Scott, were on the History Channel's program "Rome: Engineering an Empire." They played a very prominent role in that show (which got an emmy nomination, btw) And here it was on the TV at that very moment.

I took it as a good omen.

I am having a great time and holding on to my foundation by listening to all the music i love. i'm getting melancholy tonight to Rufus Wainwright followed by a healthy dose of Leaonard Cohen. Tomorrow i'll be a bit more adventurous. Maybe a little raveonettes followed by sound team.

There are fire jugglers outside of my window. And an accordionist across the piazza who is (thankfully) *not playing "My Way," as they tend to do in these uber-touristy areas.

life is good. we got an apartment today in a great area called Trastevere, which is Rome's version of the East Village. Nora and her Mom come over in a few weeks. That explains my melancholy. I miss them. Other than that, I finished my thesis, found an apartment, and found out we got a $70,000 donation. all of that TODAY. it's been a good day.

anyway, i wish a good day to everyone that reads this. get in on my fortunate day, if you buy that kind of stuff.

ciao - jack

No comments: